Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Money Can't Buy You Happiness


Money Can't Buy You Happiness 


Seriously.......The intent of the message is true, yet don't tell that to someone who is about to lose their home, can't afford a medical treatment for themselves or a loved one or is unable to pay for their kids college education or even provide a healthy, delicious meal to their family.

Money is not the key to happiness but it does make one's life more comfortable and easier.  I have heard so many times that money is the root of all evil.  Well if that were true, then how do we explain evil among the poor?  Let's face it goodness or evil lives within us; money can only enhance what is already there. I have personally met greedy people with very little.....they hoard the little they have and are always looking to get their hands on what others have be it by taking or manipulation.  I have also seen greedy people with much who gloat about what they have, flaunt it, yet will not extend their hand to help anyone.  On the other hand you will find goodness from both the poor and the rich because the goodness is in their heart...not in their pockets.

Therefore Money is not the root of all evil......and having money will not buy you happiness.  Money is but a tool, it’s a form of exchange.  We gain it as compensation of our time and effort, and we exchange if for food, housing, clothes, etc...We exchange it for a quality of life.   If we see it as a tool, then we do not bet our happiness on it, yet we recognize its value in our lives.  We understand that with it, we can achieve the things we need, be it for ourselves or others....we are able to live a life of comfort and dignity.

When I was a little girl, I was taught to work hard, but I was not taught to expect more money.  I was taught to work for the money which would help me get by. Yet getting by is not what we should aim for because that's not truly living; and we shouldn't feel guilty for wanting more money as it's not about being greedy.  Money is but a bargaining tool!  How many shoes do you have in your closet? Do you need all those shoes?  Maybe you do, but maybe you purchased a pair of each color just for the satisfaction of having them; no judgement, as I have plenty of shoes.  Why do you store so much food in your pantry?  Well, that one is easy, because eating is essential to our survival.  Yet you might overstock your pantry to share with those in need?  Whatever your reason is, money allows you to obtain things and how you use the money is part of who you are as a person

Greed?........When I think of income, I already know how much I want to earn and its not based on greed, it’s based on need. I am clear on my expenses, needs and goals; I have a clear vision of what my life needs to look like.  Therefore when I think of income, I think of a number that will help me with my day to day living.  If I were not able to achieve that income I may not be as comfortable as I could be.  So how much do you need?  Do you know how much you need not just to get by but to thrive?

When was the last time you did an inventory of all your bills, all your needs, and all the goals you have for your life?  If you haven't done so, its time you do, because when you are clear on your situation you will be better prepared to target what you need.  You see, if we simply go about life looking for jobs we may always be making enough just to be broke and if we are broke, then we are not happy.  We can't be happy when we stress about how to pay our bills, when we can't buy what we need or when we have to say NO to our kids.   I mean come on. When was the last time you took a well-deserved vacation and not a stay-cation?  Do you realize that many people do not remember when was the last vacation they truly took and enjoyed?  It's not selfish to want to take time off, but if we are not making it part of our goals and including them as our needs we might not be able to do so.

There is no shame on wanting more money because it’s not money that we're really looking for....what we want is to live the life we were always meant to live. 

No comments:

Post a Comment