Tuesday, February 23, 2016

The Problems with Envisioning More

Let me begin by declaring that the ability to envision a better future has not only been a need in my life; it’s made a huge difference. Why? Well, let me share an experience with you.

When I came out of my divorce I had no money and no credit. We closed on our house on Thursday, July 31st, 2014 as a short sale. Therefore not only did I walk away with nothing but my credit was affected for the next 3 years. I asked for the paperwork of the closing to be given to me as soon as possible and they told me I should have within the next week. I did a little begging and thankfully I received everything I needed the next day; I was thrilled. The following day, Saturday I headed to the apartment complex I wanted to call home......I was providing them with all my paperwork and crossing my fingers to get approved. They asked me to come back the next day. On that Sunday I was up and ready first thing in the morning, all my papers were in order and I already knew which apartment I wanted, I was ready! I had to believe in my heart that my lack of credit or money would not stand in my way.

That same day, within two hours I got the call...I was approved and there were two apartments ready for the taking. I went to see them but I could not see my daughter walking home in the dark of night through the woods....it was not a comforting thought. So be it that I did not like the idea of her walking through the woods and the fact I could use some time to gather money, I asked to be placed on the waiting list. I told them I would be ready by November 15th! They realtor looked at me and mentioned that people tend to move during summer or fall due to weather, so he suggested I be ready no later than November 7th....I said YES but I had requirements. I wanted an apartment with view to the parking area and I wanted it to be a corner apartment.


Every week I would visit the model home and would enter the specific model I wanted, I memorized every corner of every room; I became so familiar with it that I can see it with my eyes closed. Then I would drive to the complex in which I wanted to live and I would visit my ideal neighborhood; always gravitating to the corner apartments with view to the parking lot. I needed to feel I belonged; I needed to feel it was real. Then I began to imagine myself cooking and cleaning my apartment, remember I had memorized every corner of that apartment; it felt real. Now let me tell you why it was so important for me to envision my home......you see when I left my house my daughter had to move in with her dad....therefore for a few months we were separated and that really hurt. I needed to be home with my kid, I wanted to hear, see and know she was with me. So I made it a point to focus on my home. I would go online to see curtains; I would even go to the model home to take measurements so I that I could plan what I wanted for my new place. I was on a mission.

So why did I take all these steps? Because the problem with envisioning more is that we must believe that we can achieve, but for some of us who feel burnt in life, envisioning is hard. But think about it, when your reality sucks, your mind won't accept an image to replace what it knows; it is already convinced of its reality, it knows what it feels. So I needed to be able to walk through, to touch, and to feel. I needed to visit my future home in order to understand that this could and would become my reality. Then envisioning was not only possible, but it was essential.

I got the call and I was overjoyed....we moved in on Friday, November 7th, 2014!

Envisioning is a mind game. We do it to replace the negative thoughts produced by our bad experiences. Can everyone envision? Yes, it’s easy once we get passed the initial hurdle. If you are struggling you will need to find ways to connect to the vision.......just as I did, by visiting, measuring, walking through, I did anything I could to make this vision my reality. You need to be able to believe in your heart or you will not allow your mind to entertain it.

What do you want to bring in to your life?
If it’s a car, why not go to the dealerships, test drive, smell the interior, feel the steering wheel in your grip? You need a car, right? Well why not that one? No, I am not telling you to get yourself in debt but I am telling you that sometimes to envision we need to be able to see, touch, and feel.

Today, I can envision better but like I said it was not easy at first because my mindset was stuck in the past, in all the times that things simply did not work. Can you try this? Or better yet,

“Will you try this?”




No comments:

Post a Comment